Xylitol Toxicity in House Pets

Xylitol, an artificial sugar substitute found in many candies and gums, is one of the most dangerous pet toxins out there. Here, your Myakka, FL vet tells you about the symptoms of and treatment for poisoning, as well as how to prevent episodes.

Symptoms

A pet who has ingested a xylitol product will usually exhibit symptoms within 30 minutes, although this can vary depending on the amount ingested and the size of your pet. Common symptoms include weakness, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and uncoordinated movements. Without treatment, a pet may experience seizures, coma, and even death.

Treatment

Rush your pet to the local veterinary emergency room if you see or suspect that they’ve eaten a product made with xylitol. The stomach may be flushed, or activated charcoal may be administered to rid the system of the toxic agent. Supportive measures like fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and more may be needed.

Prevention

Check the candies, gums, and baked goods that you buy to see if they contain xylitol. To be safe, never leave any such product where a pet may be able to swipe it down and ingest it.

Your Vet Myakka, FL can give you more information—call the office today!