Your Pet and Chocolate

You probably know that chocolate isn’t good for pets. In fact, it’s one of the most dangerous and common pet toxins out there! Here, your North Phoenix, AZ veterinarian tells you more.

What Makes Chocolate Dangerous?

Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, two chemicals that pets shouldn’t have. These chemicals can cause your pet’s heart to race, and can also lead to symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, restlessness, excessive panting, excessive urination, and even seizures. Without treatment, a pet may slip into a coma and die.

Is All Chocolate Dangerous?

Yes. No form of chocolate is truly safe for pets—everything from white, milk, and dark chocolate to baking chocolate, powdered chocolate, and semi-sweet varieties may harm a pet who ingests too much.

How Do I Prevent Poisoning?

Fortunately, preventing poisoning from chocolate isn’t hard. It’s as simple as restricting your pet’s access to all chocolate treats and any foods containing chocolate. Never leave harmful substances out on the kitchen counter or tabletops, where crafty pets may be able to reach them. Instead, store chocolate and foods containing chocolate inside the refrigerator or a closed cabinet.

Would you like more information on chocolate toxicity? Call your veterinarians North Phoenix, AZ.