The Dangers of Marijuana for Dogs

Veterinarians have seen an increase in marijuana ingestion and poisoning in dogs, especially as the drug continues to become legalized in several states. It’s not safe for our canine companions! Here, your veterinarian Frisco, TX tells you all about the dangers of marijuana for dogs.

Can Dogs Get High?

Yes, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana—tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC—affects dogs in a similar way to that of humans. However, it’s important to realize that dogs are much smaller than humans, so small amounts of THC have a much greater effect. Plus, dogs don’t realize what they’re ingesting and won’t be prepared for the effects the way a human is.

What are the Symptoms of Poisoning?

A dog that is exposed to THC may experience incontinence, hypersensitivity to touch and sound, and loss of coordination. “Edibles,” or foods that are made with marijuana as an ingredient, are also dangerous because a dog may ingest a lot of butter, sugar, or fat, which can prove hazardous.

What if My Dog Ingests Marijuana?

Take your dog to the emergency room if they’ve ingested marijuana. Supportive fluids may be given, or vomiting may be induced.

Call your vet clinic Frisco, TX to learn more.