Chocolate Toxicity and Your Pet

You’re probably aware that chocolate and pets don’t mix. In fact, it’s one of the most dangerous toxins out there for our animal friends! Learn more about chocolate toxicity in dogs and cats as your Ashburn, VA veterinarian fills you in below:

Symptoms

The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without prompt treatment—seizures, coma, and even death. Caffeine and theobromine are the ingredients in chocolate that don’t agree with our pets, and they’re found in all types: dark, semi-sweet, milk, white, powdered, etc.

Treatment

If you know or suspect that your pet has ingested chocolate, rush them to the vet’s office. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be given to slow the toxin’s absorption in the stomach. As a pet recovers, fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and other methods might be needed to stabilize them fully.

Preventing Poisoning

Clearly, it’s worth preventing poisoning before it happens. That means keeping any and all chocolate and sweet treats out of your pet’s reach. Store these items in closed cabinets, containers, or the refrigerator so pets can’t gain access at any time.

Contact your animal hospital Ashburn, VA for more information on chocolate toxicity.