Lilies are very common flowers, and you might even have them in your home right now. Did you know that lilies are very toxic to cats? Learn more here from a Glendale, AZ veterinarian.
Symptoms of Poisoning
Some lilies only cause minor mouth irritation, while some cause more serious symptoms like loss of appetite, lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without treatment—seizures and even death. The Easter, tiger, Japanese snow, day, wood, and Stargazer lilies are some of the most common offenders.
A cat who has eaten a lily flower should be taken to the emergency room. Activated charcoal may be given to slow the toxin’s absorption in the gut, or the stomach may be flushed. Fluid replacement therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive measures might be needed as the patient recovers.
Prevent lily Toxicity in the first place, rather than dealing with it after the fact. Lilies are common in bouquets and floral arrangements, and can also be planted in landscaping areas—check these areas to make sure you’re not keeping a harmful plant within reach of your cat.
Ready to learn more about lily Toxicity in cats? Contact your animal hospital Glendale, AZ today.