Microchip FAQs for the New Pet Owner

New to pet ownership? Proper identification is important for your animal companion, and a microchip is the best way to achieve it. Allow your veterinarian San Antonio, TX to fill you in on microchips in this article.

What’s a Microchip?

A microchip is a tiny computer chip with a number implanted on it electronically. That number references to the manufacturer’s database, where your pet’s contact information is stored. When your pet is lost and gets relinquished to a vet’s office or shelter facility, specialized scanners there can read the chip’s number, reuniting the pet with the owner—that’s you!

What’s the Benefit?

The benefit of microchip technology is that it provides constant identification for your pet. Even if they escape unexpectedly, you have the peace of mind knowing that they’re identified. Plus, microchips are very cost-effective; they’re inexpensive and should last most of your pet’s life.

What’s the Procedure Like?

The microchip is housed in a tiny glass capsule, and that unit is inserted under your pet’s skin using a specialized syringe-like device. It’s much like a regular vaccination—all your pet feels is a momentary pinch before it’s all over.

Learn more by calling your vet San Antonio, TX.

Antifreeze Poisoning in Cats

Antifreeze is sometimes added to cars’ engines to keep them running properly in cold weather. But did you know that it’s a hazardous pet toxin and that it could seriously harm your feline friend? Learn more below from a vet in Rochester, NY.

The Toxic Agent

Antifreeze is typically made with something called ethylene glycol, toxic alcohol that can poison pets—and humans—even in small amounts. Even worse, antifreeze tastes and smells sweet to pets, so they might be attracted to it!

Symptoms of Poisoning

The symptoms of antifreeze poisoning in a cat include lethargy, vomiting, nausea, uncoordinated movements, excessive urination, and diarrhea. Without treatment, your cat can experience seizures, slip into a coma, or die.

Preventing Poisoning

When using antifreeze, make sure your cat is inside. Clean up any spills right away, and store the chemical safely where no pets can reach. You’ll also want to make sure to choose antifreeze made with propylene glycol, not ethylene glycol, as the main ingredient, as it’s much safer for animals. This way, you’re avoiding the risk entirely.

Contact your vet clinic Rochester, NY to learn more about pet toxins in and around your home. We’re always here to help!