Antifreeze is sometimes added to cars’ engines to keep them running properly in cold weather. But did you know that it’s a hazardous pet toxin and that it could seriously harm your feline friend? Learn more below from a vet in Rochester, NY.
The Toxic Agent
Antifreeze is typically made with something called ethylene glycol, toxic alcohol that can poison pets—and humans—even in small amounts. Even worse, antifreeze tastes and smells sweet to pets, so they might be attracted to it!
Symptoms of Poisoning
The symptoms of antifreeze poisoning in a cat include lethargy, vomiting, nausea, uncoordinated movements, excessive urination, and diarrhea. Without treatment, your cat can experience seizures, slip into a coma, or die.
When using antifreeze, make sure your cat is inside. Clean up any spills right away, and store the chemical safely where no pets can reach. You’ll also want to make sure to choose antifreeze made with propylene glycol, not ethylene glycol, as the main ingredient, as it’s much safer for animals. This way, you’re avoiding the risk entirely.
Contact your vet clinic Rochester, NY to learn more about pet toxins in and around your home. We’re always here to help!