Can My Dog Have Grapes?

Grapes are a tasty snack for humans, as are their dried counterparts, raisins. But did you know that you should never give your dog grapes or raisins? Learn more here from vets Frisco, TX. 

Symptoms

It’s not known what substance causes grapes and raisins to be toxic to dogs. Nonetheless, serious symptoms can occur if your pooch ingests them. Vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, and tremors are likely, and a dog can go into kidney failure without treatment. 

Treatment

Your vet might flush your dog’s stomach, and activated charcoal is often given to help stop the absorption of the toxin in your dog’s gut. Fluid therapy and even blood transfusions might be necessary if the problem is serious enough. 

Prevention Tips

Keep grapes and raisins far out of your dog’s reach—don’t leave them lying on countertops or the kitchen table where your pet could reach them. It’s better to store them in closed containers or the refrigerator so that your pet can’t gain access. And if your dog does chow down, take them to the vet’s office right away. Time is of the essence!

Want to know more about grape and raisin toxicity? Call your pet clinic Frisco, TX.