Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s probably in something you have in your home right now, and it’s very toxic for pets! Learn more in this article from a pet clinic in Boulder, CO.
Symptoms of Poisoning
Xylitol is an artificial sugar found in many gums, candies, toothpastes, and baked goods. It’s fine for humans but poisonous to animals. If your pet ingests it, symptoms include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if your pet doesn’t get treated promptly—seizures, coma, and even death.
Rush your pet to the emergency room if your pet ingests something containing xylitol. The stomach may need to be flushed to rid the system of the toxin, and a pet recovering from poisoning may need fluid replacement, oxygen therapy, and other supportive measures to fully recover.
Preventing the Problem
Obviously, you’ll want to prevent xylitol poisoning in the first place whenever possible. Do this by restricting your pet’s access to any and all sweet treats, as well as toothpaste and other products that contain xylitol. Store these items in places where pets can never reach.
Want to know more about xylitol poisoning and your pet? We’re here to help. Call your animal hospital Boulder, CO right away.