Poison ivy, as well as poison oak or sumac, can prove to be a real nuisance for humans during the warmer months. But can it affect our pets? You might be surprised to learn that yes, poison ivy and its relatives can make your companion itch! Your animal hospital London ON elaborates below.
The major symptom of poison ivy, oak, or sumac in pets is the same one that affects humans: a red, itchy rash. However, it’s not common for pets to develop the rash since they’re covered in hair and the irritating substance has trouble reaching the skin! Poison rashes are most likely to appear in areas of your pet that aren’t covered in fur.
You’ll need to bathe your pet using a medicated shampoo, oatmeal shampoo, or even dish soap (in a pinch) if they’ve been affected by poison ivy, oak, or sumac. Wear gloves so that you don’t get any of the irritating substance on your own skin!
Prevent the Problem
Keep a close eye out for the “leaves of three” plants that help you identify poison outdoors. That’s your pet’s best bet at staying rash-free!
Contact your vet clinic London, ON to learn more.