Xylitol and Its Danger for Your Pet

Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s a sugar substitute found in many candies, gums, baked goods, and other products, like toothpaste. Xylitol is fine for humans, but very bad for pets! Learn more here from a vet Crown Point, IN.

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol can manifest themselves in as little as 30 minutes after your pet ingests something containing the poison. Symptoms include lethargy, uncoordinated movements, loss of appetite, and—without prompt treatment—seizures, coma, and even death. Rush your pet to the emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested xylitol.

Treatment

Your pet’s stomach may need to be flushed to rid the body of the toxin, and activated charcoal might help slow the absorption rate in body. As a pet recovers, supportive measures like fluid replacement and oxygen supplementation might be necessary.

How to Prevent Poisoning

As is the case with all poisonings, it’s easier to prevent xylitol poisoning than deal with it! Keep chocolate, candies, and all sweets out of your pet’s reach—store them in closed containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator.

Want to learn more about xylitol and other dangerous pet poisons? We’re here for you. Call your veterinarian Crown Point, IN.

Cold-Weather Care Tips for Your Pet

In most cases, our cats and dogs aren’t very well-equipped for cold weather. It’s up to you to keep your pet safe when wintertime comes along! Use these tips from a Crown Point, IN veterinarian to keep your animal friend safe during cold weather:

Indoor Time

Don’t let your pet stay outdoors for long periods—this will surely result in deadly hypothermia or dangerous frostbite, and it’s simply not worth the risk. Only allow your pet out for bathroom breaks and quick exercise sessions; otherwise, keep them indoors where they’ll be safe and warm.

Antifreeze Danger

Antifreeze is one of the most common wintertime hazards. That’s because it contains a chemical called ethylene glycol, which is highly toxic to animals and may even attract them with its sweet smell and taste. Store antifreeze very carefully, and keep pets indoors while using the chemical.

Avoid Ice

Ice may contain chemical melting products, and you don’t want your pet picking it up on their paws and ingesting it later when they lick themselves. To be safe, avoid ice patches whenever possible.

For more tips on keeping pets safe during cold weather, call your vet clinic Crown Point IN. We’re here to help!