Have you ever heard of something called xylitol? It’s an artificial sugar used in various candies, gum, sweets, and toothpaste, and it’s very bad for pets! Learn more below from veterinarian Portland, OR.
Symptoms of Poisoning
If your pet eats something sweetened with xylitol, they can experience symptoms like lethargy, drooling, loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t given promptly—seizures, coma, and even death. That’s why quick veterinary attention is so important!
Treatment of Xylitol Poisoning
Your pet’s stomach may need to be flushed, and activated charcoal is sometimes given to stop the toxin from absorbing further in the stomach. A pet recovering from xylitol poisoning might need fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other measures if the problem is serious enough. The sooner your pet receives treatment, the more likely it is they’ll make a full recovery.
Preventing the Problem
Prevent xylitol poisoning in pets by keeping any and all items sweetened with the sugar substitute in closed containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator. That way, your pet can’t get their paws on anything harmful. It’s as simple as that!
Want to learn more about xylitol poisoning? Contact your vet clinic Portland, OR to speak with the professionals.