Have you ever seen your canine companion munch on grass? It’s not uncommon. The question is, why do dogs do this, and is it safe? Learn more here from vets Washington DC.
Why do dogs eat grass?
A dog might eat grass for a variety of reasons. Some believe they eat it when they have an upset stomach, perhaps to relieve gas or make themselves throw up. Dogs might also eat grass simply because they like the texture or taste. There are medical reasons, too—dogs might eat grass because of a nutritional deficiency or a parasitic infestation.
Can eating grass be harmful?
Grass could be treated with fertilizer or pesticides, so it’s not necessarily safe to let your dog eat it. Your dog could also chow down on a dangerous mushroom or ingest a small object, like pebbles or twigs, that they shouldn’t eat.
Should I let my dog eat grass?
Play it safe and keep your dog from eating grass whenever you can. It’s simply not worth the risk! And if you suspect a medical problem, let your vet know right away.
Call your vet clinic Washington DC if you need to make an appointment for your dog.
There are plenty of myths and superstitions that revolve around our feline friends. And you shouldn’t believe everything you hear! Below, a vet Washington DC sets the record straight on a few common cat misconceptions.
Cats always land upright.
Think cats always land on their feet? Think again. Cats can slip, fall, and injure themselves just like anyone else. And they can seriously injure themselves doing it. Don’t let your pet lounge at open windows or on high balconies.
Cats love milk.
Well, this one is half-true. Your cat may very well love lapping up milk. But the milk isn’t likely to return the favor. The truth is that most adult cats are lactose-intolerant, and too much milk will result in an upset stomach, vomiting, or diarrhea. A synthetic cat milk, which has the lactose removed, is a much better idea than actual milk!
Cats purr when they’re happy.
Cats do purr when they’re happy, but the experts say that purring also indicates other emotions. Some of them are even negative, like anger or stress!
Want to learn more about your cat’s unique personality and care needs? That’s where we come in. Talk to your best veterinarian in Washington DC right away.
Acetaminophen is one of the most common pain relievers out there, and you probably have some in your medicine cabinet as we speak. Unfortunately, it’s very dangerous for dogs! Below, your vet Washington DC fills you in on acetaminophen poisoning in our canine companions.
Symptoms of Poisoning
The symptoms of acetaminophen toxicity present themselves within a few hours of ingestion, and they include discolored gums, drooling, dark or discolored urine, appetite loss, abdominal pain, vomiting, and—without treatment—coma and even death.
If you know or suspect that your dog has ingested acetaminophen, rush Fido to the emergency room. The stomach may be flushed, or vomiting might be induced. Activated charcoal is sometimes given to absorb the remaining toxin. In the most severe cases, a blood transfusion might be necessary. Pets recovering from acetaminophen poisoning will probably need fluid therapy and other supportive measures.
Prevent the Problem
Clearly, it’s easiest and safest to prevent poisoning in the first place. This is as simple as restricting Fido’s access to any and all medications, including acetaminophen. When giving your dog his own medications, follow dosing instructions to the letter.
To learn more about dog toxins, contact your vets Washington, DC.