You’re probably aware that chocolate isn’t good for pets. It never hurts to have a refresher on the matter, though. Here, your vets Sarasota, FL goes into detail about chocolate poisoning in cats and dogs.
The symptoms of chocolate poisoning can appear shortly after ingestion, or they can be delayed by several hours or even days. Symptoms include drooling, lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea, and seizures, coma, and even death if treatment isn’t administered.
Take your pet to the vet’s office immediately if you know or suspect they’ve ingested chocolate or foods containing chocolate. The stomach may need to be flushed, or vomiting can be induced. Pets recovering from chocolate poisoning may need fluid supplementation or other supportive measures to return to full health.
Preventing chocolate poisoning is, of course, far easier than dealing with it after the fact. This is as simple as tightly restricting your pet’s access to any and all chocolate—store them in containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator so that pets cannot reach them.
Ask your veterinarians in Sarasota, FL about other foods that could harm your pet. And set up an office appointment if your animal companion needs veterinary attention. We’re always here to help!