Xylitol and Your Pet

Xylitol is an artificial sugar found in gums, candies, certain baked desserts, and even toothpaste. It’s highly toxic to animals! Your Savannah, GA veterinarian goes over the basics below.

Symptoms

A pet who ingests too much of a product containing xylitol—and it doesn’t take much!—can experience symptoms of depression, lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, collapse, and even death without treatment. Rush your pet to the nearest veterinary emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested xylitol.

Treatment

Your pet’s stomach may be flushed, or activated charcoal might be administered to slow the poison’s absorption in your pet’s system. Once your pet is stabilized and recovering, oxygen supplementation, fluid replacement, and other supportive therapies might be necessary.

Prevention Tips

Of course, preventing xylitol poisoning is far easier and less worrisome than treating it. It’s as easy as restricting your pet’s access to any and all products containing the toxin—never leave sweets of any kind on kitchen countertops or tables, and make sure your pet can’t access your cabinets where toothpaste and other products might be stored.

Want more information on xylitol and its effects on your pet? We’re here to help! Call your veterinarians Savannah, GA.