Pets and chocolate don’t mix. In fact, it’s one of the most common and dangerous pet toxins to be found in your home! Here, your Lakeville, MN veterinarian tells you about the symptoms of poisoning, and how to go about having your pet treated and preventing the issue in the first place.
The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without prompt treatment—collapse, coma, and worse. All types of chocolate can cause problems, including milk, dark, semi-sweet, white, and baking chocolate.
Rush your pet to the nearest veterinary emergency room if you see or suspect that they’ve ingested chocolate. Activated charcoal may be administered to stop the toxin’s absorption in your pet’s stomach, or the stomach may need to be flushed. As a pet recovers, fluid replacement and other supportive measures might be necessary.
It goes without saying that you’ll want to prevent an episode of chocolate poisoning in the first place, rather than deal with it after it’s happened. Do this by storing any chocolates in closed containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator where your pet can’t gain access.
Do you have questions about chocolate toxicity? Call your veterinary clinic Lakeville, MN.