Can My Pet Eat Chocolate?

When you’re snacking on a tasty chocolate treat, it’s tempting to give your pet the same enjoyment. But that would be a bad idea—chocolate is highly toxic to animals! Learn more here from a vet in Murrieta, CA.

Symptoms

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and even coma and death if treatment isn’t started quickly. All types of chocolate—semi-sweet, milk, white, dark, powdered, etc.—can cause these symptoms because they all contain theobromine and caffeine, stimulant chemicals that aren’t good for pets.

Treatment

Rush your pet the emergency room if they’ve ingested chocolate. The stomach may need to be flushed, and activated charcoal can sometimes be given to slow the absorption of the remaining toxin. As a pet recovers, fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive care measures may be needed.

Prevention of Poisoning

Prevent chocolate poisoning entirely by restricting your pet’s access to any and all chocolate and foods that contain chocolate, like cookies or cakes. That way, there’s no risk to your pet at all!

Want to learn more about chocolate toxicity in pets, or find out about other toxins you already have in your home? Contact your veterinary clinic Murrieta, CA today.