Vets have seen an uptick in cases of marijuana poisoning in dogs, as the drug continues to be legalized across municipalities and states. That’s right—marijuana isn’t safe for our canine friends! Learn more here from a vets Newmarket, ON.
Is It Possible for Dogs to Get High?
Yes, dogs can technically get high, just like humans. Marijuana’s psychoactive ingredient, THC, affects dogs just like it affects us. But it can be harmful to a dog because they’re so much smaller than a human, and they aren’t prepared for the psychoactive effects.
What are the Symptoms of Poisoning?
A dog suffering from marijuana exposure might experience loss of coordination, incontinence, and hypersensitivity to touch and sound. Even more dangerous are “edibles,” or foods made with marijuana, because of the sugar, fat, and butter that are usually used in these foods.
What if My Dog Eats Marijuana?
Take your dog to the emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested marijuana in any form. In severe cases, your dog’s stomach may need to be flushed or supportive fluids might need to be administered.
Does your dog need veterinary attention? We’re here for you. Call your veterinary clinic Newmarket, ON today.