Understanding Xylitol Poisoning

Xylitol is an artificial sugar substitute found in many candies, gums, and certain toothpaste. It’s okay for humans but very toxic for pets! Learn more here as your vets San Antonio, TX elaborates. 

What are the symptoms?

Your pet’s pancreas mistakes xylitol for real sugar, which causes a quick and dramatic drop in blood pressure. Symptoms of poisoning include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea, and even collapse, coma, and death if aid isn’t administered quickly. 

What if my pet eats something containing xylitol? 

If you know or suspect that your pet has eaten something made with xylitol, take them to the vet’s office immediately. The stomach may need to be flushed, and activated charcoal is often given to absorb the remaining toxin in the gut. Pets recovering from poisoning might need fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, or even blood transfusions in severe cases. 

How can I prevent any issues?

Keep any and all sweet treats out of your pet’s reach in sealed containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator. Restrict your pet’s access to things like toothpaste that could also be sweetened with xylitol. 

Always keep your veterinary clinic San Antonio, TX phone number close by to call in the event of an emergency.